International Northern Union Forum

This forum is dedicated to the International Northern Union.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1 INU Regional Legislature on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm

This topic is for the discussion of the INU's regional legislature.

View user profile http://internorthernunion.forumotion.com

2 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Hello everyone, and thank you for participating in this discussion!

As everyone knows, the subject of forming a regional legislature is an important one. If everything goes as planned, it will form the base of our government system. I will introduce the fact to everyone, though, that this legislature will only go into effect once we have enough nations to sustain it; the reason we are discussing it, then, is to have the system set by the time we reach that point.

Here are the basic things we'll need to discuss about the legislature:
--Do we agree that we should form a legislature?
--What will we call the legislature?
--How many members will make up the legislature?
--What duties/authority will the legislature have?
--What vote percentages should be used for the given duties?
--How would elections for this be carried out?
--How often would elections for the legislature be?

So, with those subjects here, I believe it would be easiest to move down the list, and go over each subject one by one until we finish them all. I don't think this will take incredibly long, but it will require activity. Everyone's ideas are welcome; don't be afraid to share anything you come up with.

Without further to do, we will begin this discussion by making sure we all agree that we should have a legislature. Simply post here and say whether you agree or disagree with having a legislature.

3 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:43 pm

I agree.
--What will we call the legislature?
The Northern Legislative Community
--How many members will make up the legislature?
--What duties/authority will the legislature have?
The "allies" so to say, and any operations involving other regions/nations.
--What vote percentages should be used for the given duties?
I would say about 60%
--How would elections for this be carried out?
The volunteers would post their own "pitch" so to say, and each nation may choose one pitch they believe to be the most intellectual and ready for taking part in the Legislature.
--How often would elections for the legislature be?
I would assume once per month.

4 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Raxia, we'll try to just do one thing at a time so that everything stays organized. That way we can collect more ideas and more thoroughly discuss each subject. So, right now, I'm just asking for everyone to say whether they agree we should have a legislature or not. We'll get to everything else later. I admire your promptness, though.

Furthermore, I agree that we should have a legislature.

5 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Oh, hah.

I thought you were asking for all of the fields on the original post.
Sorry, my bad.

6 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Zwotstyg wrote:
'

I agree.

View user profile

7 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:03 am

I agree once we have more members, however right now I have no issue with an open legislature whereby anyone can propose and vote on legislation, and we can form our own 'cliques' similar to the way a party would work within a legislature. (I hope I understand what you're discussing, I mean I know what a legislature is, it's just difficult to define it within nationstates)

View user profile

8 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 am

Actually, to edit what I said: only the supreme council should vote on legislation, but everyone should be able to propose it

View user profile

9 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:08 am

There is an edit button at the bottom right corner of your post.

View user profile

10 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:29 am

I'm on mobile version and can't see it

View user profile

11 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:21 pm

@Britain-Prussia: I'll just point out a few of my own idea for the sake of the discussion. The reason that I believe we need a legislature is because we need a body that has authority to make laws but one that is more democratic than simply a few chief executives. Everyone can still write proposals, and we'll still use referenda; but since resident proposals are few and far apart, we'll need some way for our government to create laws and continuously function. Furthermore, we aren't going to put the legislature into effect immediately after this discussion, so we needn't worry about a shortage of members; currently, we are planning on waiting until the INU has 50-60 members to actually form the legislature. Also, I don't think that the legislature should work any differently with parties; while I think it would be interesting to form political parties, I think the legislature should work the same as it would without political parties. In other words, I don't think there should be any internal political organization within the legislature.

12 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:22 am

I agree and couldn't say anything more since Zwotstyg pretty much cover everything.

View user profile

13 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Zwotstyg wrote:@Britain-Prussia: I'll just point out a few of my own idea for the sake of the discussion. The reason that I believe we need a legislature is because we need a body that has authority to make laws but one that is more democratic than simply a few chief executives. Everyone can still write proposals, and we'll still use referenda; but since resident proposals are few and far apart, we'll need some way for our government to create laws and continuously function. Furthermore, we aren't going to put the legislature into effect immediately after this discussion, so we needn't worry about a shortage of members; currently, we are planning on waiting until the INU has 50-60 members to actually form the legislature. Also, I don't think that the legislature should work any differently with parties; while I think it would be interesting to form political parties, I think the legislature should work the same as it would without political parties. In other words, I don't think there should be any internal political organization within the legislature.
Parties wouldn't affect legislature in any "Official" way. But just like real life, people usually vote according to their parties agenda; This would be no different in the legislative committee. This wouldn't really affect too much since their parties ideology is probably quite close to their own (Which is why they joined it, afterall)

View user profile

14 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:09 pm

@Xin Prussia: Yes, I'm fine with the idea as long as the system of the legislature isn't based around political parties. It should be formed as if each member was individually poised; that way the system will not become fundamentally biased, but political parties can still work within it.

Outside of that, the majority of those of us on the forum have voted, and we have come out in favor of forming a legislature. As a result, we will move on to the next topic: what should we call it?

15 Re: INU Regional Legislature on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:13 pm

I suggest the INU Federal Assembly (INUFA), the INU Federal Board (INUFB), or the INU Federal Convention (INUFC). Sorry about the overuse of the word "federal," but I particularly like that term.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum