International Northern Union Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
International Northern Union Forum

This forum is dedicated to the International Northern Union.

You are not connected. Please login or register

INU Regional Legislature

+3
Britain-Prussia
Xin Prussia
Zwotstyg
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1INU Regional Legislature Empty INU Regional Legislature Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

This topic is for the discussion of the INU's regional legislature.

https://internorthernunion.forumotion.com

2INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Hello everyone, and thank you for participating in this discussion!

As everyone knows, the subject of forming a regional legislature is an important one. If everything goes as planned, it will form the base of our government system. I will introduce the fact to everyone, though, that this legislature will only go into effect once we have enough nations to sustain it; the reason we are discussing it, then, is to have the system set by the time we reach that point.

Here are the basic things we'll need to discuss about the legislature:
--Do we agree that we should form a legislature?
--What will we call the legislature?
--How many members will make up the legislature?
--What duties/authority will the legislature have?
--What vote percentages should be used for the given duties?
--How would elections for this be carried out?
--How often would elections for the legislature be?

So, with those subjects here, I believe it would be easiest to move down the list, and go over each subject one by one until we finish them all. I don't think this will take incredibly long, but it will require activity. Everyone's ideas are welcome; don't be afraid to share anything you come up with.

Without further to do, we will begin this discussion by making sure we all agree that we should have a legislature. Simply post here and say whether you agree or disagree with having a legislature.

3INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:43 pm

I agree.
--What will we call the legislature?
The Northern Legislative Community
--How many members will make up the legislature?
--What duties/authority will the legislature have?
The "allies" so to say, and any operations involving other regions/nations.
--What vote percentages should be used for the given duties?
I would say about 60%
--How would elections for this be carried out?
The volunteers would post their own "pitch" so to say, and each nation may choose one pitch they believe to be the most intellectual and ready for taking part in the Legislature.
--How often would elections for the legislature be?
I would assume once per month.

4INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Raxia, we'll try to just do one thing at a time so that everything stays organized. That way we can collect more ideas and more thoroughly discuss each subject. So, right now, I'm just asking for everyone to say whether they agree we should have a legislature or not. We'll get to everything else later. I admire your promptness, though.

Furthermore, I agree that we should have a legislature.

5INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:01 am

Oh, hah.

I thought you were asking for all of the fields on the original post.
Sorry, my bad.

6INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

Zwotstyg wrote:
'

I agree.

7INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 am

Britain-Prussia

Britain-Prussia

I agree once we have more members, however right now I have no issue with an open legislature whereby anyone can propose and vote on legislation, and we can form our own 'cliques' similar to the way a party would work within a legislature. (I hope I understand what you're discussing, I mean I know what a legislature is, it's just difficult to define it within nationstates)

8INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:05 am

Britain-Prussia

Britain-Prussia

Actually, to edit what I said: only the supreme council should vote on legislation, but everyone should be able to propose it

9INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

There is an edit button at the bottom right corner of your post.

10INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:29 am

Britain-Prussia

Britain-Prussia

I'm on mobile version and can't see it

11INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:21 am

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Britain-Prussia: I'll just point out a few of my own idea for the sake of the discussion. The reason that I believe we need a legislature is because we need a body that has authority to make laws but one that is more democratic than simply a few chief executives. Everyone can still write proposals, and we'll still use referenda; but since resident proposals are few and far apart, we'll need some way for our government to create laws and continuously function. Furthermore, we aren't going to put the legislature into effect immediately after this discussion, so we needn't worry about a shortage of members; currently, we are planning on waiting until the INU has 50-60 members to actually form the legislature. Also, I don't think that the legislature should work any differently with parties; while I think it would be interesting to form political parties, I think the legislature should work the same as it would without political parties. In other words, I don't think there should be any internal political organization within the legislature.

12INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 am

Mundimundi

Mundimundi

I agree and couldn't say anything more since Zwotstyg pretty much cover everything.

13INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

Zwotstyg wrote:@Britain-Prussia: I'll just point out a few of my own idea for the sake of the discussion. The reason that I believe we need a legislature is because we need a body that has authority to make laws but one that is more democratic than simply a few chief executives. Everyone can still write proposals, and we'll still use referenda; but since resident proposals are few and far apart, we'll need some way for our government to create laws and continuously function. Furthermore, we aren't going to put the legislature into effect immediately after this discussion, so we needn't worry about a shortage of members; currently, we are planning on waiting until the INU has 50-60 members to actually form the legislature. Also, I don't think that the legislature should work any differently with parties; while I think it would be interesting to form political parties, I think the legislature should work the same as it would without political parties. In other words, I don't think there should be any internal political organization within the legislature.
Parties wouldn't affect legislature in any "Official" way. But just like real life, people usually vote according to their parties agenda; This would be no different in the legislative committee. This wouldn't really affect too much since their parties ideology is probably quite close to their own (Which is why they joined it, afterall)

14INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Xin Prussia: Yes, I'm fine with the idea as long as the system of the legislature isn't based around political parties. It should be formed as if each member was individually poised; that way the system will not become fundamentally biased, but political parties can still work within it.

Outside of that, the majority of those of us on the forum have voted, and we have come out in favor of forming a legislature. As a result, we will move on to the next topic: what should we call it?

15INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

I suggest the INU Federal Assembly (INUFA), the INU Federal Board (INUFB), or the INU Federal Convention (INUFC). Sorry about the overuse of the word "federal," but I particularly like that term.

16INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:59 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

How about something more to the point?: The Legislative Committee

17INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:50 am

Or perhaps The Northern Legislative Committee?

18INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Britain-Prussia

Britain-Prussia

INU Congressional Assembly?

19INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

Shall i add a poll with the current options?

20INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:31 am

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

I prefer to let people simply post their votes here; that way, they can add an idea themselves during the vote.

21INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:47 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

Well, the way i see it we current have a 1-1-1-1 tie

22INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:59 am

The regional assembly?

On a side note (Im not sure who said it) I totally disagree with the idea that only the supreme council should vote on legislation.

Do we not seek to follow the traditional method of separation of powers? I think its crazy that the supreme council have the executive and legislative powers monopolised.

23INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:40 am

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Iarphairc: The Supreme Council only retains that power until we have the legislature made. We needed a part of government to temporarily make laws until we were able to finish forming the legislature, and the Supreme Council was the only one with multiple members. So you don't need to worry about that; it will only last for a little longer.

Now, everyone, we'll vote to pick the most popular names. Since we have too many candidate names for an ordinary vote, each person will pick TWO names for his or her vote. Then we will use a second vote to determine the favorite of the remaining two. Here are the options:

Vote:
1. INU Federal Convention
2. Legislative Committee
3. Northern Legislative Committee
4. INU Congressional Assembly
5. Regional Assembly

Again, pick two of these names instead of just one. The vote will be finished simply when most or all of us submit a vote.

24INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:41 am

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

I vote for the INU Federal Convention and the INU Congressional Assembly.

25INU Regional Legislature Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Britain-Prussia

Britain-Prussia

I vote for Northern Legislative Committee and INU Congressional Assembly

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum