International Northern Union Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
International Northern Union Forum

This forum is dedicated to the International Northern Union.

You are not connected. Please login or register

INU Regional Legislature

+3
Britain-Prussia
Xin Prussia
Zwotstyg
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Legislative committee or regional assembly

27INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

1. Northern Legislative Committee
2. INU Congressional Assembly

28INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:35 am

Albynia

Albynia

INU Congressional Assembly
Northern Legislative Committee

29INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:46 am

My 2 votes go to

1) INU Federal Convention
2) INU Congressional Assembly

30INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 am

Astrosis

Astrosis

1. INU Federal Convention
2. INU Congressional Assembly

31INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Our vote is now completed: the INU's legislature will be called the INU Congressional Assembly.

WIth that completed, we now have to decide how many members we want to be in it. For this number, I recommend that we pick a percentage of the region instead of a set number; that will allow the number of representatives to grow along with the rest of the region without us constantly deciding on how many more to add. Feel free to post your suggestions here.

https://internorthernunion.forumotion.com

32INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

I suggest 15%. That's large enough to where we have sufficient representation, but it's small enough to where too much of the region is an official, and it will remain a small enough number to manage when the INU gets larger.

33INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:17 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

15% is much harder to manage than 10% or 20%.

34INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Not particularly, no; it will almost always be a decimal, so we just round to the nearest odd number. 10% would be a good figure, but it isn't enough to begin with; that would mean we'll start with only 5 or 6 nations in the legislature, which makes it more of an executive position than legislature. 20% is too many, because that means a whole fifth of the region would be in the legislature. I do like 10%, but we need to start out with something larger so we actually have a legislature.

35INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Britain-Prussia

Britain-Prussia

15%

36INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Mundimundi

Mundimundi

We can start with 20% now but then make it less later on as we have more members until we reach 10%. We have 33 members right now, 20% would gave us 6/7 people.

37INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

Not all those those 33 members would be interested in the position; however. 10% is rather fine, i think. We can just hold off on creating the legislature until we have a larger population.

38INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Mundimundi: We won't actually be starting the legislature until we reach 50-60 nations, so we'll have more.

@Xin Prussia: If we use 10% now or even when we reach about 50, we'll only have 3-5 members; that's not really a legislature, it's just an executive council. We'd need to reach 100 before 10% would give us a true legislature.

39INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Okay, since we only have a few ideas and no more are coming in, we'll hold a vote to decide on this now. These are the options for the number of legislators elected to form the Congressional Assembly:

Vote Options:
1. A starting 15% of the regional population will be elected, which will change to 10% when a sufficient population is attained. (Zwotstyg's plan)
2. A starting 20% of the regional population will be elected, which will gradually be lowered to 10%. (Mundimundi's plan)
3. 10% of the regional population will be elected. (Xin Prussia's plan)

Please only vote for one of the options; if you have another idea, feel free to post it and it will become an option as well. This vote will conclude when enough votes are collected.

40INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:08 am

Mundimundi

Mundimundi

I vote 2, obviously.

41INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:06 am

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Actually, I'll switch over to yours, Mundimundi. I'll go with option 2.

42INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

I'll go with option 2 as well.

43INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Option 2 sounds quite fabulous.

44INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Albynia

Albynia

Option 2 works for me.

45INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Since nobody else has voted since Albynia, we'll be going with option 2.

Now we have to cover the authority that the legislature will have.

This is my idea: the INUCA will assume the ability to make new laws (this authority will be removed from the Supreme Council, replaced by veto/pass authority for legislature laws). The INUCA will also be able to override a veto that is made by the Supreme Council. If there is an official whom the INUCA feels is corrupt or power-abusive, the INUCA will have the authority to expel the official from office. Lastly, if we put together a regional constitution, the INUCA should have the ability to amend it.

Please post your thoughts on this idea, and feel free to post your own or add on to this if you wish.

46INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

I have quite a few concerns about your idea for the INUCA, Zwotstyg.

Let me address them one by one

the INUCA will assume the ability to make new laws (this authority will be removed from the Supreme Council, replaced by veto/pass authority for legislature laws).
By this do you mean that the responsibility of proposing and passing laws are given to the INUCA and that the SC has veto power?

The INUCA will also be able to override a veto that is made by the Supreme Council.
With how much of a majority? If it's the same as passing the law, the veto is essentially worthless.

If there is an official whom the INUCA feels is corrupt or power-abusive, the INUCA will have the authority to expel the official from office.
This is by far my biggest issue. The ability of the INUCA to expel any official from office is open to flagrant power abuse, and democratically elected candidates should not be forced to step down because of political disagreements. The only way to expel an official should be through referendum.

Lastly, if we put together a regional constitution, the INUCA should have the ability to amend it.
Wouldn't this be put into the passing laws category? Pass legislature to amend the constitution, i mean.

47INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Sorry about that; I'll be a little more specific:

First, you are correct; passing laws will move to the INUCA and veto power will move to the SC.

Second, the majority numbers are to be determined in the next step. This way we don't have a cloud of disagreements about the majority numbers along with the basic plans. Right now, we're just trying to outline exactly what the INUCA will do. (I don't wish for this to be discussed until we reach the next step, but I say probably a 2/3 to 5/6 majority to override a veto. It has to be high.)

Third, I intended for an extremely high majority to determine this in the INUCA, and since the INUCA is both democratic and will represent multiple opinions, it would be virtually impossible for power abuse to occur. However, if you feel that duty should be strictly for referenda, then I will not disagree with you; I was simply trying to find enough duties for the INUCA to keep it busy.

Fourth, to an extent, yes. Some amendments would be more along the line of repealing or simply editing something, though, whereas laws are generally additions. If we combine the two, though, I would recommend they be listed as amendments rather than laws so that the duty encompasses all of those.

48INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

No problem.

First, you are correct; passing laws will move to the INUCA and veto power will move to the SC.
I see, that's fine then. I agree with that.

Second, the majority numbers are to be determined in the next step. This way we don't have a cloud of disagreements about the majority numbers along with the basic plans. Right now, we're just trying to outline exactly what the INUCA will do. (I don't wish for this to be discussed until we reach the next step, but I say probably a 2/3 to 5/6 majority to override a veto. It has to be high.)
I agree that the INUCA should be able to reverse veto's, we can discuss the required majority later.

Third, I intended for an extremely high majority to determine this in the INUCA, and since the INUCA is both democratic and will represent multiple opinions, it would be virtually impossible for power abuse to occur. However, if you feel that duty should be strictly for referenda, then I will not disagree with you; I was simply trying to find enough duties for the INUCA to keep it busy.
While i appreciate giving the INUCA things to do, i still think giving them the power to strip officials is a very bad idea, there's far too much that could go wrong with that. (Difference of Opinion, Shuttering, etc.)

Fourth, to an extent, yes. Some amendments would be more along the line of repealing or simply editing something, though, whereas laws are generally additions. If we combine the two, though, I would recommend they be listed as amendments rather than laws so that the duty encompasses all of those.
Fair Enough.

49INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Mundimundi

Mundimundi

I agree with INUCA being able to rebuke a veto with majority vote from the members. But I have to disagree with them being able to strip official position. I'd rather have another watcher group just for that.

50INU Regional Legislature - Page 2 Empty Re: INU Regional Legislature Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

Ok. I'll edit the plan to fit the proposed changes. Here, then, is the new one:

INUCA Authorities:
1. The INUCA can vote to make new laws and amend the regional constitution when one is written. The Supreme Council will lose this ability, and instead the SC must pass or veto all INUCA legislation.
2. The INUCA may override vetoes made by the Supreme Council.

Other duties can be added later, either in this discussion or by the INUCA when it is established.

If anyone else as additional ideas or thoughts on this, please post them. If none are posted, we will assume the plan written above is mutually approved.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next