International Northern Union Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
International Northern Union Forum

This forum is dedicated to the International Northern Union.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interregional Bill of Rights

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Interregional Bill of Rights Empty Interregional Bill of Rights Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

This topic is for the discussion of an interregional bill of rights.

I am proposing an interregional bill of rights for several reasons. First of all, many in some of the other regions fear the formation of an interregional government because it would detract from their independence. A bill of rights would ensure the interregional government wouldn't interfere with the independent operations of a region. The other issue is that the regions feel they may be singled out by the interregional government. We obviously cannot require interregional legislation to apply to all the regions, because that would destroy its ability to act in an emergency within one of the regions. We also cannot allow interregional laws to be nullified by individual regions, because then the interregional government won't have any actual authority. A bill of rights would set limits to the interregional government, protecting both the regions and the interregional government's authority.

Here is a simple list of idea I have come up with:
--The interregional government cannot disband or appoint any regional government or official (that is a regional issue).
--The interregional government can only pass a law not applying to all the member regions if 90% of the legislature votes for it (it shouldn't be 100% because there will almost always be opposition to something).
--The interregional government has no authority over regional embassies or foreign relations.

Those are just the basic things I thought of; any opinions and/or additions are encouraged.

https://internorthernunion.forumotion.com

2Interregional Bill of Rights Empty Re: Interregional Bill of Rights Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:21 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

--The interregional government has no authority over regional embassies or foreign relations.
While i don't disagree with this in theory, things may be very awkward if the inter-regional governments and a regional governments opinion of another region is widely different.

3Interregional Bill of Rights Empty Re: Interregional Bill of Rights Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Othelos

Othelos

Don't forget freedom of speech, separation of church and state, etc.

4Interregional Bill of Rights Empty Re: Interregional Bill of Rights Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Xin: Maybe, but it would be very oppressive if the interregional government told each region what embassies it could and couldn't form. That's regional business. The interregional government should only represent collective opinion.

@Othelos: For freedom of speech, I wouldn't worry about that, since there isn't really much of a way that an extremely oppressive regime could arise out of the system we've made so far. Freedom of speech is also decently represented in the fact that we decided to allow ordinary citizens to compose legislation to send to their representatives (although I believe the representative should be allowed to edit it as wanted). We should probably elaborate on that, though.

On separation of church and state, that's essentially irrelevant to the interregional government, since there isn't anything in NS that can be influenced by religion. Real issues, such as gay marriage and the like, that involve religious influence aren't present in NS. I would simply focus on basic things to make sure regions still retain most of their autonomy.

5Interregional Bill of Rights Empty Re: Interregional Bill of Rights Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 am

Interlatist

Interlatist

you should also make it so that regions need to have a squad of defeders ready to lend to another in case of a raid

6Interregional Bill of Rights Empty Re: Interregional Bill of Rights Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:42 am

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Interlatist: There will be an interregional defense organization alongside the interregional government, so military forces will be provided for.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum