International Northern Union Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
International Northern Union Forum

This forum is dedicated to the International Northern Union.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interregional Review Committee

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Interregional Review Committee Empty Interregional Review Committee Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

This topic is for the discussion of the interregional review committee (the appeals court for the interregional government).

Here's what we have established for the review committee:
--Each region would produce 2 people to serve on the committee; these two would be selected by each region's delegate.
--The review committee would see a legislative bill and decide if it was constitutional or not if one of the regions had 15% of its population sign a petition against the law.
--If the review committee found a bill unconstitutional, it would be immediately struck out and would no longer apply.
--If the review committee approved a bill, the decision would be final unless the legislature later repealed the law.

This is what we need to decide:
--What will be the duties of the committee?
--Will someone count votes for the committee, or will each member simply state their decision?
--Will the term length for the committee be different?
--How will members be replaced?
--How many members should be needed to vote out a bill?
--What should the committee be called?

This is what I propose:
--Duties of the committee: Deciding on successfully protested interregional laws and replacing recalled officials (as long as the official was not in the committee). For replacement, I suggest that the committee select someone from the same region as the previous person to finish the term.
--Committee Vote-Counter: I think that the votes should be posted publicly on a forum of a sort (a separate forum should be made for interregional activity, which everyone could join). However, to prevent a tie, there should be a head of the committee, who would present the case to the other members of the committee and could vote toward the decision. I suggest we call the head the Superintendent of the _____ (whatever we name the committee).
--Term length: I think the term length for the committee should be the same as the rest, which would be 4 months by my suggestion.
--Replacing members: If a committee member becomes inactive or is recalled by the upper house of the legislature, the delegate of that member's region will select a new member as a replacement. If the head is the one being replaced, the president will select the replacement.
--Vote count: I think a simple majority is fair, which means a 5/9 vote if we agree on the head of the committee.
--Name for the committee: I suggest the Commissioners' Board or the Board of Commissioners.

Thoughts?

https://internorthernunion.forumotion.com

2Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:40 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

I suggest we call the head the Superintendent of the
And he would be voted in by his fellow committee members, i assume?

--Name for the committee: I suggest the Commissioners' Board or the Board of Commissioners.
Board of Commissioners sounds okay, but this is kind of like a Supreme Court, don't you think? Supreme Court of the INU?

3Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Othelos

Othelos

I agree with everything, except the suggestion of the name. I think we should stick with "Inter-regional Review Committee" or something along those lines.

I feel like "Board of Commissioners" is too ambiguous.

4Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Federation of Zera

Federation of Zera

How about Board of Constitutional Reviews

5Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Xin Prussia: About the head, I was thinking the president could appoint them. If not, I suppose the committee could select someone. We'd have to come up with a system for it, though.

On the name, we can't include "the INU" because this is interregional, which means it isn't just the INU.

@Othelos: I proposed that name because a commissioner is a judge. That way it's more direct.

6Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:10 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

Zwotstyg wrote:@Xin Prussia: About the head, I was thinking the president could appoint them. If not, I suppose the committee could select someone. We'd have to come up with a system for it, though.
I'm again very opposed to even more appointments. I doubt getting them to select their own would be anything difficult.

On the name, we can't include "the INU" because this is interregional, which means it isn't just the INU.
You know what i mean Razz 

7Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:16 pm

Othelos

Othelos

Zwotstyg wrote:@Othelos: I proposed that name because a commissioner is a judge. That way it's more direct.
Okay. But I still think it should be more specific. Modifying Zera's idea, how's "Constitutional Review Committee"?

8Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Xin Prussia: I don't mind having them pick their own. We do, however, need to have a way for them to pick someone, so that the number is odd. Here's a system I had in mind:
--People, instead of being nominated, will simply send a personal statement and a volunteer telegram to their region's delegate. Each delegate, after maybe a day or two, will simply select the best of the volunteers.
--After each region has selected its person, the delegates will present the four candidates to the current review committee. Each region's two members will not be allowed to vote for their own region's candidate; instead, they will select the best candidate from the other regions. The winner of this will be placed as the head. The benefit of this will be that the winner would be mutually accepted by the other regions, so he/she will likely be less regionally biased and willing to work with the other regions' members.

@Othelos: I can agree with the Constitutional Review Committee.

9Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

Zwotstyg wrote:@Xin Prussia: I don't mind having them pick their own. We do, however, need to have a way for them to pick someone, so that the number is odd. Here's a system I had in mind:
--People, instead of being nominated, will simply send a personal statement and a volunteer telegram to their region's delegate. Each delegate, after maybe a day or two, will simply select the best of the volunteers.
--After each region has selected its person, the delegates will present the four candidates to the current review committee. Each region's two members will not be allowed to vote for their own region's candidate; instead, they will select the best candidate from the other regions. The winner of this will be placed as the head. The benefit of this will be that the winner would be mutually accepted by the other regions, so he/she will likely be less regionally biased and willing to work with the other regions' members.

@Othelos: I can agree with the Constitutional Review Committee.
Fair enough.

10Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

I have another proposal for the CRC.

Since we will have multiple regions working in cohesion with one another, it is likely that serious conflicts could arise. So, to deal with it, I propose we set the CRC to the job.

Essentially, the only real conflicts that could arise would be between two member regions or between two interregional officials. Other conflicts would be regional or not involve member regions. I simply suggest, then, that the CRC act as a court to conclude such conflicts if they arise. The process would be very basic; for example, say Region1 had a fight with Region2. If it got severe enough, one could appeal to the CRC to deal with the problem. Both regions would make their case in whatever way they felt necessary (appointing a lawyer-representative for the case, for example), and the CRC would be required to come to a decision in, say, 5 days. The CRC decision would be final.

One more thing for the CRC as well. We need to clarify how most officials should be replaced. We have already established that if the president is recalled or becomes inactive, the VP takes over, and since the VP is appointed, the new president would just appoint a new VP. For any other interregional officials, however, I believe the CRC should elect a replacement. For example, say that a GA representative went out of office. The CRC would take volunteers from the representative's region, and vote to select the best replacement. The only difference would be the foreign minister, because he/she would need to include a personal statement, and the GA head if he/she is elected, since they will need to include a personal statement as well. Lastly, for a specification, I say that an interregional official should be rendered inactive after 12 days of inactivity without an excuse. Rather than being voted on, they would automatically be removed from office, to avoid additional unnecessary votes.

Thoughts on this?

11Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 am

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

I'm inclined to agree with most of that. But why 12 days instead of 14?

12Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Othelos

Othelos

Agreed, but I think an exception should be made if the person announces that he/she is going away for 12 or more days.

I'm all for it if the person disappears off the face of the earth, though.

13Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Zwotstyg

Zwotstyg
Admin

@Xin: Because we don't want to let people go inactive for too long. That means interregional officials could do nothing for a half-month and be excused. In that light, 12 days is extremely generous. I only see harm in extending the period further.

@Othelos: Yes, as I mentioned, that would only apply if they were inactive for 12 days without an excuse. As long as they notify everyone, they're fine.

14Interregional Review Committee Empty Re: Interregional Review Committee Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Xin Prussia

Xin Prussia
Admin

Zwotstyg wrote:@Xin: Because we don't want to let people go inactive for too long. That means interregional officials could do nothing for a half-month and be excused. In that light, 12 days is extremely generous. I only see harm in extending the period further.

@Othelos: Yes, as I mentioned, that would only apply if they were inactive for 12 days without an excuse. As long as they notify everyone, they're fine.
I suppose. The number 12 just seems odd.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum